You can make a difference!
The following opportunities and projects were made possible by generous gifts to our 2013 Annual Fund from our alumni and friends. You can make a difference too, by giving a gift to the Department!
Undergraduate Student Opportunities & Travel
- Model UN — travel to a conference at McGill in Montreal this year
- Mock trial team — travel to compete in tournaments throughout the Midwest
- Travel for undergraduate students to leadership conferences in Washington DC and elsewhere, such as at the Center for the Study of the Presidency and Congress in Washington, D.C., and the Student Conference on U.S. Affairs at West Point
- Stipend support so that undergraduate students can afford to take summer internships in Wisconsin and Washington, D.C.
- Support for Pi Sigma Alpha, the political science honors society, which holds events with speakers, dinners with UW faculty members, and career events with alumni
Graduate Student Opportunities
- Providing research funds to advance knowledge
- Data acquisition, travel to archives, travel to research interviews
- Supporting graduate student professional development
- Paying a graduate student to teach a “math camp” to ensure our incoming graduate students are up to speed before taking our stats and methods courses
- Assistance for graduate student financial support packages to encourage the best prospective graduate students to attend UW–Madison
- Assistance with faculty research — Professors Mark Copelovitch (international finance), Helen Kinsella (security), Ryan Owens (measuring the ideological content of judicial opinions), and Nadav Shelef (examining partitions in contested territory) all benefited from Department funded undergraduate research assistance this year
- Enhancing startup packages for faculty recruitment.
- Funding for faculty research and professional expenses such as purchasing needed materials, traveling for research, and attending conferences
Intellectual Life & Community